Moormead and Bandy Recreation Ground (Richmond)
Moormead and Bandy Recreation Ground was created on former wasteland. There were proposals that lands here should become a public recreation ground from 1885, although there was some controversy about this in ensuing years as the land was vested in different owners. In February 1893 editorial in the local paper advocated a recreation ground here as being financially, physically and morally desirable and by 1898 the pleasure ground at Bandy Close and Moor Mead is listed among Twickenham UDC's facilities.
- Site location:
- Moormead Road, Cole Park, St Margarets
- TW1 1JS
- Type of site:
- Public Park
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Playground, football pitches, tennis courts, cricket pitches (leased to clubs)
- Public transport:
- Rail: St Margaret's/Twickenham. Bus: H37, 267
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.richmond.gov.uk/parks_and_open_spaces
Full Site Description
Moormead and Bandy Recreation Ground has the atmosphere of a village green and since 1979 has been the site of the annual St Margaret's Fair. The land north of the railway line at Bandy Close was vested in the Parochial Schools whose trustees were agreeable to selling the land for the purposes of a public recreation ground for £450. Moor Mead was partly freehold and partly copyland land; before creating the recreation ground the stream (the river Crane) needed to be diverted to the west side and a right of way created. In February 1893 the editorial in the local paper advocated a recreation ground here as being financially desirable (it would increase the rateable value of land here), physically desirable by providing a 'place for healthy exercise and promotion of clean lives' and morally desirable 'by supplying the means of innocent recreation to counteract evil influences which are always too plentiful, and by inducing that healthfulness of body which has so much to do with a healthy moral condition'. By 1898 the pleasure ground at Bandy Close and Moor Mead is listed in Twickenham Urban District Council's Bylaws governing pleasure grounds.
The park is part of River Crane Walk, the Crane running along the western boundary of the park. The park has a C20th pavilion and sports fields; in 1985 Crossbats Cricket Club took a three year lease on use of the park, rent-free in recognition of their proposal to improve the wicket there. Moormead Bridge over the river Crane is in the north west of the park and dates from 1902, with a new plaque erected by the Cole Park Residents Association to celebrate Twickenham Week in May 1981.
LB Richmond Parks booklet; Local History newspaper cuttings
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- LB Richmond
- Site management:
- Environment Planning & Review, Parks and Open Spaces
- Listed structures:
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation: