Riverside Gardens, including Bridge House Gardens, Mears Walk, Midhurst Site, Riverdale Gardens (Richmond)
Riverside Gardens, or The Riverside, are a series of gardens on the Richmond side of the Thames, all accessed from the Thames Path and situated between Richmond Bridge in the north and Buccleuch Gardens to the south. The Richmond Borough Byelaws of 1933 mention Bridge Gardens, Mears Walk and Riverdale Gardens as pleasure grounds.
- Previous / Other name:
- The Riverside
- Site location:
- Thames Path from Richmond Bridge/Petersham Road, Richmond
- TW10 6TS
- Type of site:
- Public Gardens
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Rail/London Overground/Tube (District): Richmond then bus. Bus: 65, 33, 190, 337, 371, 391, 419, H22, H37, R68, R70
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2015
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.richmond.gov.uk/parks_and_open_spaces
Full Site Description
These are a series of gardens on the Richmond side of the Thames, all accessed from the Thames Path and are situated between Richmond Bridge and Buccleuch Gardens (q.v.)
Adjacent to Richmond Bridge, Bridge House Gardens (0.51 hectares) has an upper terrace known as O'Higgins Square for the statue erected to Chilean freedom fighter General Bernardo O'Higgins (1778-1842) who lived and studied in Richmond in 1795-98; a plaque has the inscription: 'Chilean Statesman, Liberator of his Country'. This was created as a paved area with terraces to the river, with some ornamental /exotic planting. A café at the lower level under the arches of Richmond Bridge is shaded by two massive plane trees.
Mears Walk at Northumberland Place is a sloping terraced garden opposite Richmond Landing Stage and next to Canyon Restaurant, which has a Japanese style garden with a large plane tree, grass and trees, with a gate at the top leading to Petersham Road.
Midhurst Site is next to River Side Café snack bar, a series of 3 flat terraces with a semi-circular rose bed and shrubs planted at the upper level, walled all round, dilapidated, broken steps to each level, and disused old gate on Petersham Road, with garden long drop from road. Some trees including yew.
Riverdale Gardens (0.23 hectares) is a sloping lawn with some large trees including 2 cedars, a modern shelter on the riverside with plaque in the shelter erected in 1965 by G A Renton 'in memory of my mother Janet Alston Renton of Glasgow and East Sheen', designed by G S Weddle, borough engineer of Richmond. This garden has recently been refurbished with new seating and a footpath, and has an entrance on Petersham Road, with railings and steps.
LB Richmond Parks booklet
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- TQ178745 (north) / TQ180739 (south)
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- LB Richmond
- Site management:
- Environment Planning & Review, Parks and Open Spaces
- Pre 1933
- Listed structures:
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Richmond Hill
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Not known
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Thames Policy Area
- Other LA designation:
- Bridge Gardens and Midhurst: proposed areas of environmental improvement