St Mary with St Alban Churchyard, Teddington (Richmond)
Teddington was a medieval fishing village, and the old church of St Mary has brickwork in the south aisle that may date from the C16th. The remainder of the building dates from the 1753-4 apart from the chancel, which is C19th. St Mary's became too small for the growing population as Teddington developed from the 1860s and a new large church of St Alban replaced it in 1888. However it was rededicated in 1938 and now once again serves the parish of Teddington. St Mary's small burial ground was enlarged over the years and the earliest legible tombstones date from the mid C18th and are in the north-west part of the churchyard. The most recent date on a gravestone is 1952. Mature trees include lime and yew and the churchyard is managed in parts, and left wilder elsewhere. The churchyard of St Alban across Ferry Road was cleared in 1991 and has been built on although some of the larger, mature trees remain.
- Site location:
- Ferry Road/Manor Road, Teddington
- TW11 9NN
- Type of site:
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Rail: Teddington then bus. Bus: 281, 285, R68.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stmarywithstalban.org
Full Site Description
The Manor of Teddington was owned from medieval times by the Abbey of Westminster, then passed to the monarchy after the Dissolution of the Monasteries and from 1603 until the C18th was leased to the Hill family. Teddington developed from a riverside village in the C19th following the arrival of the railway in 1863. St Mary's became too small to serve the growing population and a new, huge church of St Alban was built across Ferry Road in 1886, designed by William Niven. It was consecrated in 1888, whereupon St Mary's closed in 1889 and became neglected. An appeal to restore St Mary's was successful and it was rededicated in 1938 and used occasionally. St Alban's Church gradually declined and is no longer in use as a church, the smaller St Mary now back in use as St Mary with St Alban.
Early memorials inside St Mary's Church include a brass to John Goodyere (d.1506) and his wife, and a monument to Sir Orlando Bridgman (d.1674). Under the church are two sealed vaults, the Manor vault and the Town vault. Beneath the church tower is the burial place of Stephen Hales (1677-1761), one of the foremost British scientists of his day. He was also a philanthropist and conscientious clergyman, ordained in 1709 and inducted to the 'Perpetual Curacy' of Teddington, which he held until he died. His scientific interests included research on animal and plant physiology and on the nature of air. Made a Fellow of the Royal Society for his experiments on the circulation of the blood, Hales came to public notice in 1719 when he delivered a paper to the Royal Society on the effect of the sun's rays on the sap of plants. He wrote numerous scientific books and published articles in magazines and newspapers on his inventions and his other life-long campaign against the evils of excessive alcohol. There is a monument to him in Westminster Abbey.
John Archer, David Curson, 'Nature Conservation in Richmond upon Thames, Ecology Handbook 21', (London Ecology Unit) 1993 p86; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999 p534/5; Richmond Local History Notes; 'Our Church's History' on church website
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- Church (Diocese of London)
- Site management:
- LB Richmond: Environment Planning and Review, Parks and Open Spaces
- Listed structures:
- LBII*: St Alban
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- High Street Teddington
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Not known
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Yes - Local Importance
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Thames Policy Area
- Other LA designation: