Inventory Site Record

St Peter's Churchyard

St Peter's Churchyard (Richmond)

Brief Description

St Peter's Church has a picturesque setting from where footpaths lead across farmland to Petersham Meadows. The walled churchyard has some fine trees and numerous gravestones and chest-tombs including that of Lord Buccleuch and the simple tomb of Captain George Vancouver (d.1798) of the Royal Navy, an explorer who discovered the island off the west coast of Canada that is named after him. Others buried here include Revd. Albert Henry Scott, (d.1864), whose carved granite tomb was designed by his father the architect Sir George Gilbert Scott who lived at the Manor House in Ham. The entrance to the churchyard has a metal arch with lamp erected in 1997 in memory of Murray and Clare Vines, from where a herringbone brick path leads to the church.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Petersham Parish Church
Site location:
off Petersham Road
Postcode:
TW10 7AB
Type of site:
Churchyard
Borough:
Richmond
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail/London Overground/Tube (District): Richmond then bus. Bus: 65, 371

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

A tiny church 'of uncommon charm' (Pevsner), St Peter's is on the site of a Norman church of which traces remain. It has a late C13th chancel and otherwise was rebuilt in the early C16th, with tower and transepts added in the early C17th. The building was extended in later years, with the nave and west tower with battlements and octagonal lantern added in 1790 and further enlargements made in 1840. The interior is 'the most atmospheric Georgian village church interior' (Pevsner) including box pews, galleries and two-decker pulpit. Captain George Vancouver settled in Petersham on his return from travelling and lived in The Glen, a cottage in River Lane, where he wrote 'Voyage of Discovery'. A tablet on his grave records that it was restored 'by the native sons of British Columbia, Post No. 2 (Canada). Maintained by the late Major J S Matthews and the City of Vancouver B.C. (Canada)'.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999 p514/5;

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ181733
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Church
Site management:
Church
Date(s):
C13th
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII*: Church
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Petersham
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
Yes
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Page Top