St Philip and St James Churchyard (Richmond)
St Philip and St James Church was built in 1862 on land that was formerly part of the Whitton Park Estate, which was developed by the Duke of Argyll from 1722-61. He enlarged his estate and raised most of the trees in his park from seed, some of which remain in the former parkland, now built over by suburban housing. These are likely to include the fine trees in the grounds around the church. The Whitton Park estate was owned by the Gostling family from 1766-1892, who were closely involved in the village, playing a part in setting up the new parish and donating land for the church. The church grounds are largely grass with a few fine trees, including monkey puzzle, with holly and hawthorn hedge to roads.
- Previous / Other name:
- Whitton Park Estate
- Site location:
- Kneller Road/Hounslow Road, Whitton
- TW2 7DY
- Type of site:
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Rail: Hounslow/Whitton. Bus: 281, H22, R62
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.whitton-church.org.uk
Full Site Description
The site for the church was donated by Maria Gostling who also provided the church tower in memory of her brother, Augustus Gostling. From 1859 the husband of Maria's niece Emily, Charles Edward Murray who later took the surname Gostling-Murray, was effectively head of the family and he played an active role in the life of the village of Whitton. In 1860 he was part of a committee set up by the Vicar of Twickenham to provide a new church in order that Whitton could become a separate parish. St Philip and St James was designed by F W Pownall, the first stone laid on 17 July 1861 by Charles Gostling-Murray's 7 year-old son, Augustus. The church clock was installed in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. In 1895 Gostling-Murray's second wife Margaret erected the reredos in the church in memory of her husband, following his death in 1892.
Enclosed in 1625-33 the Whitton Park estate was acquired by the Duke of Argyll in 1722, who eventually owned over 22 hectares of land in Whitton. The Duke raised most of the trees in the park from seed planted in 1724 and some of the trees still found in the area date from that time or are descendants of trees grown on the estate. These are likely to include the fine trees in the grounds around the church. After the Duke's death in 1761 the estate passed to his mistress, Mrs Elizabeth Williams and then after her death to their illegitimate son Colonel William Williams who sold the estate to William Pope in 1765. In the following year it was bought by George Gostling, a successful ecclesiastical lawyer who converted the Green House into a separate residence for his family of 19 children. His estate became known as Whitton Place, and retained the most attractive areas of the grounds. Gostling sold the Duke's mansion, which retained the name Whitton Park, to Sir William Chambers (1723-96). Both George Gostling (d.1782) and his wife Anne (d.1799) were buried at St Mary's Churchyard Twickenham (q.v.).
After the death of Sir William Chambers in 1796, Whitton Park was purchased by a Mrs Dennis, upon whose death it was re-purchased by the Gostling family and eventually let to Sir Benjamin Hobhouse, who lived there until his death in 1831; his eldest son John Cam Hobhouse, later Lord Broughton, was a great friend of Lord Byron who is known to have visited Whitton Park. After Whitton Park reverted to the Gostling family in 1847, the house was demolished. The Gostling family retained the estate until 1892 when the land was put up for sale and sold by auction in 1894 after which part was developed. The central grounds around the house were sold on a number of times from 1895 and Whitton Place itself became derelict and the estate neglected. In 1910 most of the land was bought for housing development, aside from that purchased by Twickenham Urban District Council for Murray Park (q.v.).
P Foster and D H Simpson 'Whitton Park and Whitton Place' Twickenham Local History Society paper no. 41, July 1999; Church information on web.
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- Diocese of London
- Site management:
- Listed structures:
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation:
- Open Land of Townscape Importance