Aged Pilgrims' Friend Society Home (Southwark)
The Aged Pilgrims' Friend Society was founded in 1807 and in 1837 the Society built almshouses in what is now Sedgmoor Place, at that time called Westmoreland Place. The land was given by William Peacock who also built Bethel Asylum nearby in Havil Street. Behind the almshouses is a quadrangle that has a memorial to Peacock who was buried in a vault beneath the courtyard when he died in 1844. The Almshouses were modernised in 1961 and are now flats.
- Site location:
- 116 Sedgmoor Place, Camberwell
- Type of site:
- Private Garden
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Rail: Peckham Rye then bus.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
Full Site Description
Ron Woollacott, 'Southwark's Burying Places, Past and Present', Magdala Terrace Nunhead Local History publication, 2001; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Southwark Listed Buildings data
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- Site management:
- Listed structures:
- LBII: Aged Pilgrims Friendly Society's House; front and side walls and gates
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation: