Inventory Site Record

Avondale Square Estate

Avondale Square Estate (Southwark)

Brief Description

Avondale Square was situated to the north of St Philip's Church, which dated from 1875 and was bombed in WWII. The land, which was owned by the Bridge House Estates, was redeveloped by the Corporation of London, who had begun to build housing here from 1920 and continued after WWII. Avondale Square Estate was opened by the Lord Mayor of London on 26 October 1962. The estate was landscaped with substantial areas of informal green space with paths running through it, more formally planted areas and now has 3 play areas.

Practical Information
Site location:
Avondale Square, off Old Kent Road
Postcode:
SE1 5PD
Type of site:
Housing/Estate Landscaping
Borough:
Southwark
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
private for residents but some public access to roadways
Special conditions:
no dogs
Facilities:
playground, tennis courts, basketball (for residents)
Events:
www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Housing/Council_housing
Public transport:
Tube: Bermondsey (Jubilee); Elephant & Castle (Northern, Bakerloo) then bus. Bus: 21, 53, 78, 172

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Housing/Council_housing

Full Site Description

Avondale Square Estate was designed by Sir Lancelot Keay, Basil Duckett & Partners and provided 600 dwellings, and a number of recreational facilities for the residents, including a community centre. The landscaping on Avondale Square Estate consists of substantial grass areas with a number of mature plane trees that presumably date from the earlier square, together with garden areas of rose beds set into lawn, a paved area with a few shops and a sculpture by Alfred Weller. Along the Old Kent Road frontage are well kept landscaped areas with ornamental beds set into lawns. The old vicarage and church hall and the new church of St Philip, built in 1963 to designs by N F Cachemaille Day, are situated within the estate with a small memorial garden between the two.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ340781
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
City of London Corporation
Site management:
Housing Dept.
Date(s):
1958-62
Designer(s):
Sir Lancelot Keay, Basil Duckett & Partners
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes - (Old Kent Road frontage) Archaeological Priority Zone
Other LA designation:
None

Page Top