Inventory Site Record

Dulwich Library Gardens

Dulwich Library Gardens (Southwark)

Brief Description

Dulwich Library was built on a site given by the Estates' Governors of Alleyn's College of God's Gift. A donation by philanthropist John Passmore Edwards paid for the building, and the foundation stone was laid by Sir Henry Irving. An additional sum was provided by Camberwell Vestry who laid out the surrounding land as a public garden. Dulwich Library was opened on 24 November 1897 by the Lord Chancellor, Lord Halsbury. The railed garden has some ornamental planting, rose beds and areas of lawn, with trees and shrubs on the perimeter.

Practical Information
Site location:
Lordship Lane
Postcode:
SE22
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Southwark
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
as for library opening times
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Bus: 12, 40, 176, 185

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk/parks

Full Site Description

Dulwich Library was designed by R P Whellock and cost £5,800, to which the philanthropist John Passmore Edwards donated £5,000. The remaining £800 was paid by Camberwell Vestry who laid out the surrounding land as a public garden. Passmore Edwards donated money for 70 free libraries, hospitals and convalescent homes throughout the UK, including Nunhead Library which opened in 1896. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Henry Irving and Dulwich Library was opened on 24 November 1897 by the Lord Chancellor, Lord Halsbury who had presided over the production of the 'Laws of England'. The garden has some ornamental planting with palms along side of library building and a few rose beds otherwise the gardens are lawns with trees and shrubs on perimeter.

Sources consulted:

John D Beasley, 'Southwark Remembered', Tempus Publishing, 2001; L'The London County Council and what it does for London: London Parks and Open Spaces' (Hodder & Stoughton, 1924)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ339739
Size in hectares:
0.339
Site ownership:
LB Southwark
Site management:
Parks
Date(s):
1897
Designer(s):
Library: R P Whellock
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Tier Three

Page Top