Inventory Site Record

Faraday Gardens

Faraday Gardens (Southwark)

Brief Description

Faraday Gardens opened in July 1905. The land was originally part of St Peter's Churchyard, which became a public garden in 1895. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners set aside this area for public recreation when they were developing the area. The gardens were named after the chemist and physicist Michael Faraday, who was born in Newington Butts in 1791 and lived in the area.

Practical Information
Site location:
Portland Street
Postcode:
SE17
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Southwark
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - sunset
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Playgrounds, courts
Events:
Public transport:
Rail/Tube: Elephant & Castle (Northern, Bakerloo) then bus. Bus: 12, 35, 40, 45, 68, 171, 176, 468.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2017
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The land was originally part of St Peter's Churchyard (q.v.), which became a public garden in 1895; Faraday Gardens opened in July 1905. The freeholders, Ecclesiastical Commissioners, formed Faraday Gardens in 1905 when they were developing their land and set aside this area for public recreation and gave it to the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark who laid out a playground. The gardens were named after Michael Faraday, chemist and physicist famous for work with electricity and magnetism who lived in the area and was born in Newington Butts in 1791. He died in 1867 and is buried at Highgate Cemetery (q.v.). He is also commemorated locally by the central stainless steel sculptural feature at Elephant and Castle that masks a London Transport electricity sub-station. Trees in the park include wild cherry, lime, Norway maple, plum cherry, Italian alder, hornbeam, false acacia.

Sources consulted:

LB Southwark Archive; John Beasley, 'Southwark Remembered' (Tempus Publishing, 2001) p75; London Parks and Open Spaces, London County Council 1924

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ325782
Size in hectares:
1.224
Site ownership:
LB Southwark
Site management:
Parks
Date(s):
1905
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Liverpool Grove
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Local Park, Tier Two

Page Top