Merrick Square (Southwark)
Merrick Square is named after Christopher Merrick who left land to Trinity House in 1661. The square of 32 houses was built from 1853-72 and overlooked a private garden, still enclosed by its original C19th cast iron railings. At each end of the garden are 2 concrete cast urns on plinths and trees include London plane, chestnut, lime, sycamore, laburnum and various shrubs. The central beds were replanted in 2000 under the supervision of the Museum of Garden History, now renamed the Garden Museum.
- Site location:
- Merrick Square/Trinity Street
- SE1 4JB
- Type of site:
- Garden Square
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Has opened for OGSW. Otherwise private, for keyholders only
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 22 times, most recently in 2019.
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Tube: Borough (Northern), Elephant & Castle (Northern, Bakerloo); London Bridge (Northern, Jubilee). Bus: 21, 35, 40, 133, 343, C10
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.tnra.net
Full Site Description
Christopher Merrick was a London merchant and 'younger brother' of Trinity House, sworn in on 8 September 1660, who gave land in 1661 for 'relieving weak and decayed Seamen and Mariners of this Kingdom, their Wives, children and Widowes where most need was'. The land had been purchased by his father in 1610. In the early C19th land south of the square around Harper Road was used to grow fruit trees and on a plot facing Great Dover Street to the north horseradish, mint and kale were grown. Merrick Square was designed by Richard Suter, surveyor for Trinity House, and was built between 1853 and 1856. Nos.16 and 17 on the south-west side were designed by Henry Jarvis & Son Ltd in 1872 with the Rectory for nearby Holy Trinity Church built between these two houses. Merrick Square remains in the ownership of the Corporation of Trinity House, and is composed of 32 single houses.
Southwark Listed Buildings data
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- Corporation of Trinity House
- Site management:
- Corporation of Trinity House
- Listed structures:
- LBII: Nos.1 - 32 Merrick Square; cast iron railings to central garden
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- ? Trinity Church Square
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Not known
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Archaeological Priority Zone
- Other LA designation:
- London Squares Preservation Act. Strategic Views Backdrop Consultation Zone
Merrick Square - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 24/08/17 11:04
Click photo to enlarge.