Inventory Site Record

Paterson Park

Paterson Park (Southwark)

Brief Description

Paterson Park was created on a bomb site that had formerly been railway sidings, and was opened by Prime Minister Clement Attlee in 1953. It was named in memory of the prominent prison reformer, Sir Alexander Henry Paterson. The park was extended in 1981 when the Bricklayers' Arms goods station was closed, and a nature reserve accessible from Paterson Park was created the other side of the old railway bridge. In 2007 improvements were undertaken in the park, and new facilities included a children's play area, allotments and a multi-use games area.

Practical Information
Site location:
Lynton Road
Postcode:
SE16
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Southwark
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Playground; multi-use games area
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Bermondsey (Jubilee) then bus. Bus: 381, P13.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk/parks

Full Site Description

Paterson Park was named in memory of Sir Alexander Henry Paterson who died in 1947, a prison reformer who lived in Bermondsey for a time in his early years, where he worked among the poor of the area, publishing an account of this work in 'Across the Bridges' in 1911. He supervised boys released from Borstal and in 1911 became assistant director of the Central Association for the Aid of Discharged Prisoners. He was later appointed commissioner of prisons and Director of Convict Prisons in 1922. He advised on penal administration overseas and was particularly instrumental in establishing recreational and educational facilities in prison as well as the introduction of open prisons in order to assist the rehabilitation process.

Sources consulted:

John Beasley, 'Southwark Remembered' (Tempus Publishing, 2001).

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ342784
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Southwark
Site management:
Parks
Date(s):
1953
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Local Park, Tier Two. Green Chain Walk along east boundary

Page Top