Spitalfields City Farm (Tower Hamlets)
Spitalfields City Farm was set up by volunteers on a former railway goods depot in 1978. In 1980 the farm gained charitable status, and continues to be run by a voluntary management committee . Volunteers play an important part in the farm although public funding enabled staff to be employed. The farm keeps a selection of farm animals and has a number of community garden areas, including a grass road, wildlife garden, plant nursery and vegetable plots, and an active Volunteers Vegetable Garden known as the Coriander Club gardens.
- Site location:
- Buxton Street
- E1 5AR
- Type of site:
- Tower Hamlets
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Tues/Wed 10am-2pm; Thurs-Sun 10am-4pm
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 5 times, most recently in 2016.
- Special conditions:
- Shop; Horta Café (Wed-Sun 10am-4.30pm)
- Various events and activities, including volunteer gardening and educational projects. Has opened for OGSW
- Public transport:
- Rail/Tube: Liverpool Street (Central, Hammersmith & City). Tube: Whitechapel (District, Hammersmith & City). London Overground: Whitechapel, Shoreditch High Street. Bus: D3
- Research updated:
- Last minor changes:
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.spitalfieldscityfarm.org
Full Site Description
In 1987, lack of revenue funding almost caused the closure of Spitalfields City Farm and the threat from development never goes away for what is the nearest community farm to the City's financial district. Strong local support have enabled the farm to develop and grow, and it offers a wide range of activities and opportunities to the local community and visiting groups. Among the farm animals are rare breeds, and the farm has published a book ' 'Rare Breeds in the City'.
See website www.spitalfieldscityfarm.org
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- TQ341821 (534150,182150)
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- LB Tower Hamlets/Railtrack
- Site management:
- Spitalfields City Farm
- Listed structures:
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Fournier Street
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation:
Spitalfields City Farm - Photo: Diana Jarvis
Date taken: 28/08/15 08:30
Click a photo to enlarge.
Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and is subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.