Inventory Site Record

Chingford Green

Chingford Green (Waltham Forest)

Brief Description

Chingford Green, unlike other former rural hamlets in the area, retains some sense of its earlier atmosphere. In 1844 the parish church of St Peter and St Paul was built on the Green, and a few C18th and C19th buildings still overlook the green. The area remained rural until housing development took place largely as a result of the arrival of the railway in the late C19th and by the 1920s suburban housing replaced Chingford's fields.

Practical Information
Site location:
Chingford Green/Station Road
Postcode:
E4
Type of site:
Public Open Land
Borough:
Waltham Forest
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Chingford. Bus: 97, 179, 212, 313, 379, 397, 444

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 15/09/2020
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.walthamforest.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Until the C19th there was a scattered farming community in the area around Chingford, which lay within the ancient Forest of Essex. By the late C18th there were hamlets at Chingford Green, Low Street and Chingford Hatch, each a mile or so from the parish church of All Saints (q.v.) on Chingford Mount. Chingford Green became the most important of these and was where the new church of St Peter and St Paul (q.v.) was established in 1844 although the area remained rural until the C20th.The Great Eastern Railway arrived in the late C19th and housing proliferated and by the 1920s suburban housing replaced Chingford's fields. Chingford had been part of Essex until 1965 when it was incorporated into the new borough of Waltham Forest.

There are a number of old buildings near the Green, including the remains of the stable block of an early C18th pub, The King’s Head to the west of the Green. From 1805-1840 the Manorial Courts of Chingford St Pauls were held in the King's Head. Another Edwardian pub is the Bull and Crown, south of the Green. The early C19th Carbis Cottage to the north of the Green is the last surviving weather-boarded cottage in Chingford. Kilgreana and The Lodge to the south-west were once one house, Chingford Lodge, the residence of William Mellish who built a sporting establishment here and between 1798 and 1806 kept a pack of staghounds on the Green. In 1859 four almshouses were built on The Green, probably taking the place of earlier almshouses here, and a fifth was built in 1887. Chingford Assembly Hall and Library, a modernist 2-storey building designed by Tooley and Foster arcitects, was built in 1959 overlooking the Green. In 2000 a series of mosaic roundels were added to the facade depicting events, people and buildings of local heritage interest; the mural was undertaken by Wallscapes. 

The Green today is an open green space, largely grass with perimeter trees, benches, and lamp posts along the tarmac path that borders the churchyard wall. At the east end of the Green is an area of shrub planting and an illustrated site history information board with old photographs of some of the surrounding buildings.

Sources consulted:

Chingford Green Conservation Area leaflet (LB Waltham Forest, n.d.); Victoria County History: Revd Canon J L Fisher ' History of Chingford', 1966; Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 5: East' (Yale University Press, 2005)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ385943
Size in hectares:
0.49
Site ownership:
City of London Corporation as Conservators of Epping Forest
Site management:
LB Waltham Forest, Green Space Service, Environment and Regeneration
Date(s):
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII*: St Peter and St Paul's Church. LBII: The Bull and Crown, Carbis Cottage, churchyard gates & gatepiers north & south of the church. Locally listed: Kilgreana & The Lodge
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Chingford Green
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

Chingford Green

Chingford Green, September 2017. Photograph Sally Williams

Click photo to enlarge.

Page Top