Squires Almshouses (Waltham Forest)
Squires Almshouses were founded in 1795 by Mrs Mary Squires to accommodate six widows of Walthamstow residents. The simple garden has mature trees, shrubs with mixed shrubs and perennials in a long bed at the front. The area at the back retains the original idea of private gardens.
- Site location:
- Church Path, Church Hill, Walthamstow
- E17 9RH
- Type of site:
- Private Garden
- Waltham Forest
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Rail / Tube: Walthamstow Central (Victoria) then bus. Bus: W12
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
Full Site Description
The almshouses were founded in 1795 by Mrs Mary Squires to accommodate six widows of Walthamstow residents and are in Walthamstow village, which maintains its C18th and C19th village atmosphere with the church, Vestry House, and Tudor House. An inscription above the almshouses records that they were 'erected and endowed for ever . . . for the use of six decayed tradesmen's widows of this parish'. In 1975 the rear extensions were reconstructed to modernise the kitchens and provide indoor bathrooms. They were completely renovated in 1995 and although the six front doors are still visible the accommodation is now only for four residents. The original York stone path runs the length of the front of the buildings; planting includes mature trees, shrubs with mixed shrubs and perennials in a long bed at the front. At one time there were pollarded trees to the front. The area at the back retains the original idea of private gardens; there used to be six dwellings but since recent restoration there are now only four, maintained by the residents. The original privies have been converted into garden sheds. Grass is cut by the charity. At the front is a white picket fence with breeze block wall topped with iron railings at the back. A small wooden gate is at one side set in the brick walls at the side.
A D Law, Walthamstow Village (Walthamstow Historical Society) 1996 5th ed; A D Law, Walthamstow Village (Walthamstow Antiquarian Society) 1968; J M Gibson, 'The Walthamstow Charities. Caring for the Poor 1500-2000, Phillimore & Co Ltd, 2000.
LPGT Volunteer Research by Catherine Davis, 2005
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- Walthamstow Almshouses and General Charities
- Site management:
- Listed structures:
- LBII: Squires Almshouses
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Walthamstow Village
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Yes - local importance
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation: