Inventory Site Record

Connaught Square Gardens

Connaught Square Gardens (Westminster)

Summary

Connaught Square was built between 1821-30 as part of S P Cockerell's plan for Tyburnia when the land within the extensive estate owned by the Bishops of London began to be developed in the early C19th. According to the Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares the private communal garden was laid out in 1809. In 1928 it was described as an 'oblong area surrounded by a sparse hedge and attractively laid out with well-kept lawn and some fine trees'. Today the garden is surrounded by privet hedge and a wire mesh fence; a perimeter walk follows its oval shape and its mature London plane trees dominate the square.

Basic Details
Site location:
Connaught Square, Paddington
Postcode:
W2
Type of site:
Garden Square
Date(s):
1809; 1821-30
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Nos. 1 - 15; 8, 10 & 10a; 23 - 37; 38; 39 - 46; 47 Connaught Square
Borough:
Westminster
Site ownership:
Church Commissioners
Site management:
Estate Management Scheme, Gardens Committee
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private, for keyholders only
Took part in Open Garden Squares Weekend in 1998.
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Marble Arch

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hydeparkestate.com

Further Information
Grid ref:
TQ275810
Size in hectares:
c.0.31
On EH National Register :
No
EH grade:
None
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Bayswater
Tree Preservation Order:
Yes
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Fuller information

Land to the north of Hyde Park was for centuries farmland owned by the Church of England, the area known as Tyburnia after the river Tyburn that flows underground. It was at Tyburn Gallows at Marble Arch that public executions were held until 1783. The development of the Bishop of London's large Paddington Estate began after that, with an early masterplan drawn up by Samuel Pepys Cockerell (1754-1827), the estate surveyor, possibly begun in 1805 although little was built until the 1820s. Cockerell was succeeded as estate surveyor by George Gutch (c.1790-1874), who modified and intensified the layout, and drew up his 'Final Plan of Tyburnia' in 1838. In 1928 the garden of Connaught Square, still owned by the Paddington Estate Trustees, was provided for the use of residents of adjoining houses and was managed by a Committee of occupants. The expenses of maintenance were assessed proportionately on each house, although the Trustees had the power to undertake maintenance in cases of neglect.

In 1954 a 90-acre area of land within the Church Commissioners estate containing C19th terraces south of Sussex Gardens was consolidated as the Hyde Park Estate. The cost of maintenance of the gardens is through an annual service charge to lessees who have exclusive rights to use the gardens.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England London 3: North West, (1991, reprinted 1999), p.685; The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, vol. IX, 1989, pp.196-197.

Page Top