Inventory Site Record

Norfolk Square Garden

Norfolk Square Garden (Westminster)

Summary

Norfolk Square was laid out after 1842 on the site of the former Upper South Reservoir of the Grand Junction Canal Company, possibly to the design of George Gutch. The garden was originally provided for the private use of inhabitants of the Square. The area later became invaded by minor hotels, and a block of flats replaced a church at the north end of the square. The garden became dilapidated and in 1989 was acquired by Westminster City Council through compulsory purchase. It was completely re-landscaped with new paths, shrub planting and railings, and opened to the public in autumn 1990.

Basic Details
Site location:
Norfolk Square, Paddington
Postcode:
W2 1RU
Type of site:
Garden Square; Public Gardens
Date(s):
c. 1842-45; 1989/90
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
Borough:
Westminster
Site ownership:
WCC
Site management:
Parks Service (contractor: Continental Landscapes Ltd)
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
8am - dusk
Special conditions:
No dogs
Facilities:
Events:
Occasional concerts and other events
Public transport:
Rail/Tube (Bakerloo, Hammersmith & City, District, Circle): Paddington. Bus: 7, 15, 23, 27, 36, 205, 436

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk

Further Information
Grid ref:
TQ263812
Size in hectares:
0.283
On EH National Register :
No
EH grade:
None
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Bayswater
Tree Preservation Order:
Yes
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
London Square
Fuller information

Norfolk Square was laid out after 1842 on the site of the former Upper South Reservoir of the Grand Junction Canal Company, possibly to the design of George Gutch, surveyor to the Bishop of London's extensive Paddington Estate. The garden was originally provided for the private use of inhabitants of Norfolk Square, who paid rates towards its upkeep. It was maintained by a Committee, which was elected at an annual meeting of the ratepayers when the rate was also agreed for the garden upkeep. In 1928 it was described as 'a long rectangular enclosure laid out as a lawn with some well-grown trees'. The area later became invaded by minor hotels, and with a block of flats replacing a church at the north end of the square. The garden became dilapidated and in 1989 the site was acquired by Westminster City Council through compulsory purchase. The garden was completely re-landscaped with new pathways, shrub planting and railings and opened to the public in autumn 1990. Lanterns were later added at the request of the local amenity society. Architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott lived nearby and the square itself is surrounded by a number of fine buildings. There are bedding displays in the gardens.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (1991, reprinted 1999), p. 687; WCC Norfolk Square Gardens Management Plan 2009-2014; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928

Page Top