Follow Cycle Route 4 along Bonding Yard Walk. At the end of the path, turn left into Finland Street and right into South Seas Street. Cross the entrance of Greenland Dock on a bridge and turn left, following the river past Greenland Pier. Cross the entrance to South Dock on a lock and continue to follow the river until you come to a pair of large 18th-century brick buildings on Deptford Strand, the former rum warehouses of the Royal Naval Victualling Yard. Turn right between the two buildings into Foreshore, which becomes Barfleur Lane. Turn left into Bowditch and follow the road around to the right. Pepys Park is on the left.
This open space was created as part of the LCC's Pepys Estate, built over the site of the Royal Naval Victualling Yard, established for storage of provisions and clothing for the Royal Navy in 1742. The yard had a river frontage of 460 metres, and became the largest naval victualling yard in the country, manufacturing a range of provisions including biscuit, chocolate, mustard and pepper, and housing massive supplies of food, tobacco, rum, medical supplies and clothing. It closed in 1961.
The estate was named after Samuel Pepys, who was Secretary to the Admiralty in the reign of Charles II and so had connections with the area. He visited John Evelyn who lived at Sayes Court (q.v.).
Further information on LGT Inventory