Turn right at the traffic signals into Kennington Park Road and take the second left into Cleaver Square.
Development of the square began in 1789 after the landowner Mary Cleaver leased the site to Thomas Ellis, the publican of the Horns Tavern nearby. It was the first square to be developed south of the Thames following the building of Westminster Bridge, although it was not finally completed until the 1850s; the central garden was laid out in c.1799. The central garden layout in the late C18th had grass, and it was later used as a nursery garden. The garden was recently restored by LB Lambeth and English Heritage with the MPGA grant to form an open tree lined area of considerable charm and architectural merit with gravel, cobbles and numerous seats, with traditional post-and-rail enclosure.
Further information on LGT Inventory