The New River
At the end of Gentleman's Row, follow the path on foot and cross the New River on a small bridge. Turn right and walk along the river to the Crown and Horseshoes pub. Re-cross the river and follow the right-hand side to the next bridge, where you cross back to the left-hand side to join a road (Parsonage Gardens).
The New River is a feature of the Enfield landscape. Sir Hugh Myddelton's project to bring water 38 miles from Amwell Springs in Hertfordshire through Enfield to Islington was completed in 1613.
In 1890 the portion of the New River around Enfield village was piped underground, thereby making this stretch redundant. It was saved from being filled in by a public campaign to preserve it for its ornamental value and it is essentially a linear lake. With the aid of a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £1.8 million in 1997, the New River Loop Restoration Project has since 1998 restored the historic watercourse, listed bridges and railings and reinstated the timber banks.