To join the walk at Hammersmith underground station, follow signs from the District and Piccadilly line platforms to Talgarth Road. From the ticket barrier, go past the escalator, Tesco Metro on the left , and follow signs to Smollensky's Diner in Bradmore Square. If using the lift, turn left after the ticket barrier and follow signs to Talgarth Road. Turn right at Tesco Metro and follow signs to Smollensky's. Cross the road at the traffic lights to St Paul's Church.
Go across St Paul's Green and under the flyover. Return to the Thames Path via the footpath to the left of Hammersmith Bridge. Go under the bridge and walk along Lower Mall, past several pubs and rowing clubs, to Furnival Gardens.
Furnival Gardens are on a site that was once the mouth of Hammersmith Creek, which had a thriving fishing industry until the early 19th century, and was navigable almost to King Street. The gardens were laid out in 1951 for the Festival of Britain and enlarged in 1957 on a badly bombed area of poor housing and small factories. A low walled garden was created on the former site of Hammersmith Friends' Meeting House burial ground, which was destroyed by a V2 rocket, having only just been restored to its 18th century form.
Further information on LGT Inventory