Compton Terrace Gardens
On leaving Highbury & Islington station, turn right and walk to the traffic lights. Cross Upper Street, turn right and then left into Compton Terrace. Enter Compton Terrace Gardens through the gate on the right.
Compton Terrace was designed by Henry Leroux in 1805 as a row of villas either side of a Union Chapel, and completed in 1830. In 1823, a management committee was set up, and the 'paddock or grass plot' in front of the villas dressed as a 'pleasure ground'. The Union Chapel Congregational Church was built in 1876-77 by James Cubitt, replacing the earlier chapel of 1806. The terrace and gardens were part of the Marquess of Northampton's estate until the 1920s, when ownership passed to Islington Borough Council.
Further information on LGT Inventory