Battishill Street Gardens
Leaving the square by the same gate, walk south along Canonbury Road. Bear right (crossing Sable Street) into Halton Road. Turn right down Richmond Grove and continue along the pedestrian route into Upper Street. Turn right and cross at the zebra crossing outside Islington Town Hall. Turn left and walk along Upper Street towards Barnsbury Street. On the corner is a small community garden with evergreen planting.
Continue along Upper Street and turn right into Waterloo Terrace. Continue into Battishill Street Gardens.
The gardens were opened by poet laureate Sir John Betjeman in 1975. In the far corner is a paved area with seating, which features a stone frieze by Musgrove Watson, who also designed the bronze reliefs at the base of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square. The frieze was originally made for the Hall of Commerce in Threadneedle Street in 1842. To the north of the gardens is Waterloo Terrace, built on land which was once part of the botanic garden of Dr William Pitcairn, President of the Royal College of Physicians from 1775 to 1785.
Further information on LGT Inventory