Re-cross Southwark Street and go back along Bear Lane. Right at Dolben Street by the White Hart and left into Gambia Street. A section of road was made into a community garden in 2003/4. At the end of this street cross Union Street into Nelson Square.
The gardens here were originally for the use of residents of the square, but in 1903 the owner Viscount Halifax gave the site to the London County Council (LCC). It was laid out at a cost of £1,400, with half met by owners of the houses and the remainder by the LCC and Southwark Council. The terrace of houses at one corner are the only remaining original buildings, built between 1807 and 1810 and possibly designed by S. Cockerell. There are rose beds and six mature plane trees. Improvements, designed by Jennifer Coe Landscape Architects, were carried out with the support of BOST and local people in 2000-1, and included new play equipment and sports areas.
Further information on LGT Inventory