St Nicholas' Churchyard
DirectionsTake the alley facing you to the right of Seears park. After about 100 metres, turn right into another alley and then left into Quarry Park Road, following the signposts for Sutton. At the junction with the busy (but unmarked) Gander Green Lane, go straight ahead past a small supermarket and turn left into Tate Road. Continue straight ahead along an arm of Western Road and across a mini roundabout. At the junction with Sherwood Park Road, go straight ahead into Camden Road, using the contraflow lane. At the end, turn right into Robin Hood Lane (unmarked, but signposted 'Carshalton'). Use the contraflow round the bend to the left into Gibson Road, where the graveyard of St Nicholas' Church is on the left.
DescriptionWhen the old parish church of Sutton was deemed too small for its growing congregation, St Nicholas' Church was rebuilt by Edwin Nash in 1862-4. In the churchyard are many tombs including a mausoleum (1777) to citizen and merchant James Gibson and family. The structure has a pyramidal roof, rusticated quoins and door surround.
Further information on LGT Inventory