The northern part of Haggerston Park was the site of the Imperial Gas Company from 1823, later becoming the Gas Light and Coke Co, which was destroyed in WWII bombing. It was laid out as a park in 1956 by the LCC with ornamental gardens, a raised bowling green, a birch grove on the infilled basin site, and a long pergola walk on the north side. In the 1980s the park was extended to the south to include Hackney City farm, children's playground and playing fields.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk/cp-haggerston.htm; www.haggerstonpark.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
Haggerston is recorded as early as the Domesday survey when the manor was known as 'Hergotestane' on land granted by the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The manor was subsequently broken up, some land becoming part of Hoxton Manor, and after the Dissolution of the Monasteries the land passed through a number of owners. The Astronomer Royal Edmond Halley (1646-1742) lived in Haggerston at one time. In 1823 the Imperial Gas Company was established on Haggerston Basin, a spur off the Regent's Canal, and in 1887 the company amalgamated to form the Gas Light and Coke Co. This was bombed and destroyed in World War II and on its site the oldest part of Haggerston Park was laid out in 1956 by the London County Council with the high relict C19th brick walls still visible on three sides.
The LCC park layout included fine ornamental gardens, a raised bowling green, and a birch grove on the infilled basin site, a Tea Terrace, and a sundial and elliptical bed at the Edith Street entrance. Haggerston Park has been described as 'one of the few formal landscaped gardens in the Borough'. Also dating from the 1950s is a long pergola walk on the north side of the park. In 1966 a Park Keeper's Lodge and 1 O'clock Club were built, and in the 1980s the park was extended to the south to include a city farm, children's playground and playing fields. The pond in the park, which is of value for nature conservation, was repaired in 2010/11. A Community Orchard and Food Growing Garden is being created, for which the ground has been cleared and prepared and 200 plants have been planted.
Public Open Spaces in Hackney; Walter Bessant, Shoreditch and the East End, London 1908; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Arthur Mee 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster' (Hodder & Stoughton Ltd, 1972)