Barkingside Cemetery is a municipal cemetery, which opened in 1922/23. In 1954 when the cemetery had become full an extension was opened to the west, Barkingside Garden of Rest. It is laid out on a simple grid with wide paths and some covered seats. A small hedged plot on the north east side is reserved for deceased members of Dr Barnardo's Village Home, which had been established in 1875, at which time Barkingside was a small village. Barkingside Station opened in 1903 and the area gradually became built up.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk; www.westerleighgroup.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Barkingside Cemetery is a municipal cemetery, opened in 1922/23. The first burial took place on 1st February 1923. In 1954 when this cemetery had become full an extension was opened to the west, Barkingside Garden of Rest (q.v.). Barkingside Cemetery is a trapezoidal ground laid out on a simple grid with wide paths and some covered seats. It is surrounded by iron railings and has its main entrance gates onto Longwood Gardens although one can enter from ?Mossford Green where the Cemetery abuts Barkingside Recreation Ground (q.v.) to the East, and Holy Trinity Church Barkingside (q.v.) to the North. Meller describes it as ‘a sorry departure from the exuberance of Victorian cemetery planning . . . Dull anonymity prevails’. A small hedged plot on the north east side is reserved for deceased members of a Dr Barnardo's home (see Barnardo's Village Green q.v.). Among those buried here is Rev Paul Levertoff (1878-1954), Hebrew scholar and religious author. The cemetery is now managed and maintained by the Westerleigh Group, along with LB Redbridge's other cemeteries and 4 closed churchyards.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008), p81.