|Christ Church Wanstead Churchyard||Redbridge|
Christ Church Wanstead is a fine large church built by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1861, later enlarged and the ragstone tower and spire were added. It was built as a chapel-of-ease to Wanstead parish church of St Mary the Virgin. Surrounding the church is a wide hard-gravelled path, and the surrounding garden, which has no gravestones, is largely grass with some perimeter shrubs and trees. It is enclosed by wooden picket fencing, which separates it from Christchurch Green Recreation Ground.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.parishofwanstead.org
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Christ Church Wanstead is a fine large church built by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1861. Originally built with a chancel, north aisle and name of four bays, it was later enlarged by a bay and the south aisle added in 1867, the ragstone tower and spire added in 1869 and vestries in 1889. It was built as a chapel-of-ease to Wanstead parish church of St Mary the Virgin (q.v.). By 1835 the village of Snaresbrook had begun to become a fashionable place for gentlemen to build country villas and there was soon a need for a new church to serve the population. The Vicar of St Mary, Revd William Pitt Wigram and his family were firmly behind the petition for the chapel of ease and the foundation stone was laid on 18 May 1860 by Wigram's brother the Bishop of Rochester. It has fine stained glass by Kempe and the William Hill organ has been restored in recent years. In 2009 the church won a Diocesan Architectural Committee Award for the rendering of the nave and chancel. Surrounding the church is a wide hard-gravelled path, and the surrounding garden, which has no gravestones, is largely grassed with some perimeter shrubs and trees. The church land is enclosed by wooden picket fencing, which separates it on the south, east and west sides from a public park, Christchurch Green Recreation Ground (q.v.).
Winston G Ramsey (ed) 'Epping Forest Then and Now' (After the Battle, 2nd ed, 1986); W V Phillips, 'Wanstead through the Ages' (1946, 1966 ed); Ian Dowling and Nick Harris, 'Images of London: Wanstead and Woodford', Tempus Publishing 2003; Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press); Denis Keeling 'A Guide to Christ Church'; Graham Dixon, Patricia Wilkinson 'The Parish of Wanstead'