South Park was created following Ilford Council's purchase of 32 acres of Loxford Hall Estate in 1899 and opened in 1902. It contains a large lake with several islands, formed by diverting water from Loxford Water, part of Seven Kings Brook, and the landscape has mature trees including oak, beech, lime and horse chestnut. Facilities provided included tennis courts and a bowling green with pavilion, used by Clementswood Bowling Club. The site of the bandstand remains marked by hedging and a tarmac path skirts the perimeter of the park. In 1923 the Broadway Clocktower was erected in the park, but destroyed by a WWII bomb in 1944.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
South Park was created by the purchase of 32 acres of Loxford Hall Estate by Ilford Council in 1899. It was laid out in 1900/1901 at a cost of £11,000 and opened in 1902. It contains a large informal lake with several islands, which was formed by diverting water from Loxford Water, part of Seven Kings Brook. There are numerous wildfowl on the lake, which is surrounded by an undulating landscape planted with trees and shrubbery. The site of the bandstand remains marked by hedging and a tarmac path skirts the perimeter of the park, which has gothic-style gates, erected c.1900 by Hill & Smith, Brierley Hill. Facilities provided include tennis courts, and a bowling green with pavilion, used by Clementswood Bowling Club. Trees in the park include notable oak, beech, lime and horse chestnut. Between 1923 and 1944 the Broadway Clocktower was erected in South Park, moved from its original site to make way for a new tramway junction and to relieve traffic congestion. It was destroyed on 16 June 1944 by direct hit by a VI bomber. In November 2008 new outdoor gym equipment was installed, along with improvements to the tennis and basketball courts, funded by Section 106 money. By April 2011 improvements to the play area are due to be completed.
Alan A Jackson, 'Semi-detached London' (Wild Swan, 2nd ed. 1991); Victoria County History