The Weavers' Almshouses at Wanstead were built in 1857-9, designed by Joseph Jennings. They were rebuilt in 1975, retaining their original appearance, by F G Dobson and H M Grellier & Son at which time a parallel range was added behind, with an area of landscaped garden between the two. The almshouse originated from two foundations, the oldest in Shoreditch of 1670 and another of Spitalfields of 1729. The two-storey range has a taller central clock turret with the Weavers' motto 'Weave Truth with Trust' inscribed and a plaque 'The Almshouses of the Worshipful Company of Weavers, 1851, formerly in Porters Fields and Old Street Road Shoreditch'. The buildings are fronted by a garden with hedge to the road, and has a number of mature trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.weavers.org.uk/almshouses
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Edward Walford describes the Weavers' Charity as founded in 1725 for 'twelve poor freemen and twelve widows' who were 'transferred hither about 1860 from the densely crowded neighbourhood of Potter's Field and Old Street Road, London' (Village London).
Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 5: East', Yale University Press, 2005 p352; Ian Dowling and Nick Harris, Images of London: Wanstead and Woodford, Tempus Publishing 2003, p42; Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press) p473