The GardenThis award-winning community food garden brought together diverse groups to create a thriving haven for local residents and wildlife. A resident-led committee rescued the site and, with Lottery support, it has developed to host over 40 raised growing beds, greatly valued by families, schoolchildren and a daycare centre. Asian and unusual vegetables grow alongside a fruit orchard, wildlife area and pond, with native hedgerows, bug hotels, nectar bars, a wildflower meadow, bat boxes and ivy walls for bees. It won a Silver award in the 2018 London in Bloom Awards in the Thriving Garden category, as well as being named Best Community Garden, Best Wildlife (Group) and Overall Group Winner in the Tower Hamlets in Bloom Awards.
chair: Margaret Wilson
- Sunday 11:00–17:00
- We hope to sell curry and cakes made by our growers, as well as plants and drinks.
Between Russia Lane and Peel Grove
Nearest postcode: E2 9LU
- D3, D6, 8, 26, 55, 106, 254, 309, 388
- Cambridge Heath Overground, Bethnal Green underground, Stepney Green
- Cycle hire station
- York Hall (Map)
- Ramp available for access (one step). Uneven ground (turf) inside and some narrow paths between beds but most of the site is flat and accessible.
- Working assistance dogs only