Carlton House Terrace - Waterloo Place West Garden
The GardenThis garden was developed on part of the former royal garden of St James’s Palace, when Regency architect John Nash built the surrounding Carlton House Terrace. Since 1832 it has been managed by the Crown Estate Paving Commission. The garden underwent restoration in 2008 and its19th century character has been retained with serpentine paths, trees and shrubs. There are handsome railings and a number of statues, including a memorial to Battle of Britain RAF commander, Sir Keith Park. The original path network has been reinstated and the garden has been replanted to reflect the more woodland nature of the gardens.
Judy Fish: Head Gardener
- Picnics allowed.
Gate on west side of Waterloo Place
Nearest postcode: SW1Y 5ER
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 15, 23, 88, 94, 139, 159, 453
- Piccadilly Circus
- Cycle hire station
- Waterloo Place (Map)
- Public toilets
Piccadilly Circus (Map)
Open Saturday 07:30-23:30
Open Sunday 10:00-23:00
- Raised stone threshold at gate. Firm paths
- Dogs on leads
- Please note we are unable to sell tickets at this garden: only existing ticket holders can be admitted.