A spectacular London plane tree dominates this award-winning mid-Victorian garden which is for the private use of residents only. Rare ornamental trees (wedding cake, handkerchief, tobacco and giant sequoias) feature alongside a wide variety of shrubs. Dating from 1873, the square gets its name from a meadow in the Earl's Court Manor estate - Court Fields - which was demolished when the Underground was built. Perimeter railings have been reinstated (after the original railings were used in the war effort) together with a wildlife area and pond, some tropical beds, a native fruit tree orchard, play area and a Victorian arbour and gazebo.
Contract gardener: Garden Associates - Robert Player
Grade II*-listed houses, representing the extreme point of late Victorian individualism, surround a communal garden laid out in simple, naturalistic style by leading Edwardian landscape designer Harold Peto.
Formerly the back gardens of the surrounding Victorian villas, joined together to form a large communal garden by the Gunter Estate management. The clean microclimate has nourished some of the oldest and healthiest trees in London.