Although designed by Humphry Repton in 1806, nothing now remains of his layout. During the WW2 effort, part of the garden was requisitioned for a barrage balloon and railings were removed; the War Office took it over in 1942 to station tanks, anti-aircraft guns and troops. In the 1970s it was re-landscaped when an underground car park was built underneath; the shallow soil creates an interesting microclimate that is a bellwether for climate change elsewhere on the estate. Perimeter paths are screened from the road by shrubberies, a winding path breaks the formality and the lawn has central rose beds and a pergola with seating. A grove of Acacia dealbata, Quercus robur 'Fastigiata Koster', Celtis australis and Melia azedarach trees are of interest, as well as a mature Vitex agnus-castus and Echium fastuosum shrubs.