Chester Square, in the heart of Belgravia, was laid out between 1828 and 1840 by the 1st Duke of Westminster and his surveyor and architect, Thomas Cundy II. Cundy also designed St Michael’s Church on the west side, which provides a backdrop to the 1.5-acre garden. The garden is surrounded by herbaceous borders and conceals a tranquil central rose garden. Rope-edged tiles and some original trees have survived. The garden won a Silver Gilt award in the Small Park of the Year (up to 5 acres) category in London in Bloom 2018. Past residents include poet Matthew Arnold (1822-88) at No 2 and Frankenstein author Mary Shelley (1797-1851) at No 24.
Laid out by Humphry Repton in 1806, a military site in WW2, and now effectively a roof garden following the construction of an underground car park. Some unusual trees and lots of lavender give a somewhat modern Mediterranean feel.