Cornwall Gardens consists of three private communal gardens, each laid out formally with perimeter paths. The original Victorian market garden was developed by the Broadwood family - famous piano makers - and was sold for development from 1866 to 1879. Known as Little India due to its colonial links, the gardens became home to writers, painters, musicians, financiers and other fine Victorian minds. The gardens are shaded by some of London's tallest plane trees dating from 1870, and the trees, lawns and flowering shrubs provide the peaceful and inspirational atmosphere of a woodland garden.
Formerly the back gardens of the surrounding Victorian villas, joined together to form a large communal garden by the Gunter Estate management. The clean microclimate has nourished some of the oldest and healthiest trees in London.
Laid out by Humphry Repton in 1806, a military site in WW2, and now effectively a roof garden following the construction of an underground car park. Some unusual trees and lots of lavender give a somewhat modern Mediterranean feel.