Markham Square lies on the site of an old orchard - part of Box Farm - which was acquired by Matthew Markham in the late 18th century. Following the Markham Square Act 1825, the first houses were completed on the west side of today's garden in the early 1840s. The remaining houses were built during Queen Victoria's reign, and the garden was planted as an orchard of flowering cherries, almonds and peaches in 1937 to celebrate George VI's coronation. After WWII, it was redesigned by the Royal Hospital Chelsea’s head gardener as a private country garden, notable for its light, open aspect and rare shrubs and trees.
Laid out by Humphry Repton in 1806, a military site in WW2, and now effectively a roof garden following the construction of an underground car park. Some unusual trees and lots of lavender give a somewhat modern Mediterranean feel.