Speculative developer Charles Richardson built the houses around St James's Gardens and established the gardens themselves in the late 1840s, for the residents of what was then called St James's Square, part of the Norland Estate. He donated the site for St James's Church to the Church Commissioners, as the houses would be more saleable if they had access to their own church. The historic church was designed by architect Lewis Vulliamy and built between 1844 and 1855. The private communal gardens are laid out in an informal woodland style. Chestnut and lime trees, dating back to the 19th century, dominate the garden.
Part of the Norland Estate, laid out by Robert Cantwell in 1846. Award-winning garden restoration and design with enhanced planting. Roses, central herbaceous borders and an interesting variety of trees and shrubs.