Inventory Site Record

Sidcup Place

Sidcup Place (Bexley)

Brief Description

Sidcup Place is the oldest surviving building in the area, the core of the house built in 1743. Although the landscape is predominantly C19th overlaid with C20th municipal planting, the bones of the design may well be C18th. Between 1822-1919 it was owned by the Berens family, but part of the estate was sold in 1896. The house was a school from 1907-1916 and became Council offices in 1934. To the east of the house are terraced gardens and a ha-ha overlooking vestigial parkland. The walled garden of the original house remains to the south.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Sidcup Park
Site location:
Chislehurst Road, Sidcup, Kent
Postcode:
DA14 6BT
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Bexley
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Toilets, Car park, tennis courts, 9 hole pitch and putt, 18 hole putting green. Steak house restaurant
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Sidcup then bus. Bus: 160, 229, 269, 286, B14*.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bexley.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The landscape is predominantly C19th with C20th municipal planting overlaid but the bones of the design may well be C18th. Sidcup Place is the oldest surviving building in the area, the core of the house built in 1743 for an Officer in the Engineers as 'Star Fort' with regular bastions in the angle of a square, possibly to a design by Joseph Trought. Subsequently the house was much altered. Between 1822-1919 the estate was owned by the Berens family although it was used for a school from 1907-1916 and it became Council offices in 1934. Part of the estate was sold in 1896 for housing (Church Avenue). The original approach was planted with limes and with a group of holm oak and yews and Wellingtonias on the lawn near to the house, some of which survive. To the east of the house are terraced gardens with floral displays and a ha-ha overlooking vestigial parkland including one or two good oaks. There are the remains of peripheral planting including Scots Pine, Oak and Lime. The walled garden of the original house remains to the south and has been laid out with rose beds and the east wall replaced with a Yew hedge. The original drive from Chislehurst Road is guarded by the C19th Red Lodge, recently renovated. Sidcup Park is separated from The Green (q.v.) by an unnamed private road.

Sources consulted:

Colvin, H. A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, London 1978; LB Bexley CA Statement of Character; Further large collection of Photostat Hall Place; 'The Green Conservation Area: Area Appraisal and Management Plan, March 2009

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ463713 (546370,171224)
Size in hectares:
13.8
Site ownership:
L B Bexley; Bexley Hospital Trust (part)
Site management:
LB Bexley Parks and Open Spaces, Highways and Amenities Department
Date(s):
C18th; C19th; C20th
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Sidcup Place. Local list: Red Lodge, Wall to kitchen garden
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
The Green, Sidcup (part only, includes garden and part of parkland)
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance
Green Belt:
Yes
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Urban Open Space; Green Chain Walk

Page Top