Pond Square Gardens (Camden)
Pond Square today is a triangular tree-shaded open space with pathways running across it, three raised areas largely grassed, and in one corner a small toilet block within shrubbery. The highest point in Camden, this was the old centre of Highgate Village and once had two large ponds that provided drinking water to the village. The freehold was conveyed to St Pancras Vestry in 1884 and in 1886 the ponds were drained in order to create a public space, which opened in the same year. The garden is overlooked by terraced houses, several dating from C18th and C19th, and by the Highbury Literary and Scientific Institute and Emanuel Church.
- Site location:
- Pond Square/South Grove/West Hill Highgate
- N6 6DA
- Type of site:
- Garden Square; Public Gardens
- C18th; C20th
- Listed structures:
- LBII*: No.6 Pond Square (Rock House); No. 10 South Grove (Church House). LBII: Nos.1-5, 16 Pond Square; Nos. 2-9, 11, 15 South Grove, K2 Telephone kiosk, Highgate United Reformed Church, Moreton House.
- Site ownership:
- LB Camden
- Site management:
- Parks & Open Spaces. Pond Square Residents Association
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Tube: Highgate, Archway (Northern) then bus. Bus: 143, 210, 271.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk
- Grid ref:
- TQ283874 (528358,187371)
- Size in hectares:
- On EH National Register :
- EH grade:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Yes: Green (TVG72)
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Area of Special Character: Hampstead & Highgate Ridge
- Other LA designation:
- Public Open Space (Small Local). Registered Village Green/Common Land
Pond Square is a triangular shaded square, the central area now resurfaced with bonded gravel with stone pathways following receipt of a grant from English Heritage. This is the highest point in Camden and was the old centre of Highgate Village (with the Green at The Grove (q.v.) now a reservoir), and was the site of two large ponds, which provided drinking water to the village. At one time the Highgate lock-up was here, a small building 7 foot square, where miscreants were held temporarily. In 1884 the freehold of the site was conveyed to St Pancras Vestry and both the ponds were then drained in 1886 in order to create a public space, which opened as such in the same year. The deeds dated 19 July 1884 are now held by LB Camden 'in trust to allow, and with a view, to the enjoyment by the public of the open space in an open condition, free from buildings and under proper control and regulation and for no other purpose, but [LB Camden] shall not allow the playing of any games or sports thereon and [LB Camden] shall maintain and keep the same in a good and decent state and may enclose or keep the same enclosed with proper railings and gates.' It was preserved as public open space under the London Squares and Enclosures (Preservation) Act of 1906.
The garden is surrounded by terraced houses, several dating from C18th and C19th including Rock House of mid-late C18th, No 13 dates from c.1811, a semi-detached house formed by the rear of No.59 Highgate High Street built for C Lynne, re-fronted in the mid C19th. Nearby are the Highbury Literary and Scientific Institute and Emanuel Church. Adjacent to the gardens is a K2 telephone kiosk of 1927 designed by Giles Gilbert Scott.
Camden Listed Buildings website; M W Hammond, 'Camden's Parks and Gardens', LB Camden, 1973; 'Streets of Highgate' ed. Steven Denford and David A Hayes (Camden History Society Publications, 2007); John Richardson, 'Highgate Past' (Historical Publications Ltd, 1989); LB Camden, Highgate Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Strategy, 2007