fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Salisbury Square (City of London)

Brief Description

Salisbury Square is on the site of the former forecourt of the large house of the Bishops of Salisbury, who had acquired the site in c.1200. In 1564 it was acquired by the Sackville family, later given the title the Earls of Dorset after whom nearby Dorset Rise is named. Although the square has some C18th housing, it was predominantly redeveloped from the 1960s onwards. The central area was laid out formally and is surrounded by cobbled roadway. It provides seating within a paved garden that has a raised bed at each corner planted with shrubs and small trees. In the centre is a granite obelisk that commemorates Robert Waithman, Lord Mayor of London in 1823-24. This was erected in Salisbury Square in the mid 1970s, but had originally been located in Farringdon Street.

Practical Information
Site location:
Salisbury Square
Postcode:
EC4Y 8AE
What 3 Words:
labs.closet.hours
Type of site:
Square
Borough:
City of London
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Blackfriars (District, Circle). Rail: Blackfriars
Research updated:
01/06/2010
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/openspaces

Full Site Description

Salisbury Square is on the site of the former forecourt of the large house of the Bishops of Salisbury, hence the name, who acquired the site in c.1200. In 1564 the Sackville family had the property, later given the title the Earls of Dorset after whom nearby Dorset Rise is named. Although the square has some C18th housing, No. 1 an early C18th house largely reconstructed and No. 12 a mid-late C18th house much altered, it was predominantly redeveloped from the 1960s onwards. In the centre of the square on a low circular plinth is a granite obelisk brought here in c1975 from Bartholomew Close, which prior to 1951 had been at the south end of Farringdon Street. It commemorates Lord Mayor of 1823-24 Robert Waithman (d.1833) and is the work of James Elmes. Surrounding the obelisk, the area is paved with seating and a raised brick planter forming each corners planted with shrubs and small trees, the road around this central landscaping is cobbled. Improvements were carried out in 1990 by epr Architects Ltd as part of the Corporation of London's City Challenge scheme.

Sources consulted:

Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ314811 (531500,181097)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
City of London Corporation
Site management:
Open Spaces Dept.
Date(s):
C18th; 1990s
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Obelisk
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Fleet Street
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

Salisbury Square

Salisbury Square with Obelisk to Robert Waithman, June 2010. Photo: S Williams

Salisbury Square, June 2010. Photo: S Williams
2010

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.