fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Lammas Park (Ealing)

Brief Description

The park is named after the original use of the land as lammas land where tenants of the manor could graze their cattle following harvest. In 1881 c.23 acres were purchased by Ealing Local Board when it was feared that it might be lost as open space; compensation was paid to those who lost their rights. Lammas Park opened in 1883 and was subsequently extended west to Northfield Lane by arrangement with the Elers Estate, and a lodge was built at the new entrance. By 1907 there were 2 bowling greens, shelters for the bowling club and cricketers, and a 'tea chalet' for those playing tennis and croquet, with 19 lawn tennis courts and 4 croquet lawns by 1911. The park once had a bandstand and over 50 flower beds, mostly removed by 1958. In January 1949 a small War Memorial was erected by the Boy Scouts near the South Lodge entrance.

Practical Information
Site location:
Culmington Road/Elers Road/Windemere Road/Northfield Avenue, Ealing
Postcode:
W13
What 3 Words:
news.votes.darker
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Ealing
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Tennis courts, croquet pitch, bowling greens, playground and Playcentre, junior football pitch, nature area.
Events:
Various
Public transport:
Tube: South Ealing, Northfields (Piccadilly). Bus: E2, E3, 65.
Research updated:
01/11/2010
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/environment/parks_and_open_spaces

Full Site Description

Lammas land refers to land on which tenants of the manor in medieval times were allowed to graze their cattle after harvest from Lammas Day on 1 August. Around 23 acres of Lammas lands here were purchased by Ealing Local Board in 1881 when the Borough Surveyor, Charles Jones, feared that it might be lost as open space. When the park first opened there were still cows grazing here and the Local Board only purchased the rights in the 1890s. The eventual cost was c.£220 per acre, which included £100 per acre paid as compensation to those who lost their Lammas rights.

The park was opened on 1 August 1883 and was subsequently extended west to Northfield Lane by arrangement with the Elers Estate, when a lodge was built on the new entrance. Ealing Council's report for 1907 reported that a new bowling green had been opened, with plans for a further one to be provided in 1908; shelters had been built for the bowling club, cricketers and a 'tea chalet' for those playing tennis, which was so popular that provision was being made in 1908 to add 8 additional tennis courts and 2 croquet lawns. The park also had a bandstand and over 50 flower beds. By 1911 there were 19 lawn tennis courts, 4 croquet lawns, 2 bowling greens and 3 cricket pitches.

In 1927, the park was described in glowing terms by Mrs Jackson, author of 'The Annals of Ealing': 'Beautiful old trees, flowering shrubs, green lawns and charming borders, delight the eye at every turn; but, beautiful as they are, are but the fine setting to the youthful beauty and grace of Ealing's boys and girls enjoying themselves in the nineteen large tennis courts, while the quieter atmosphere of the bowling greens, putting greens, and croquet hoops attract according to their popularity locally.' In January 1949 a small War Memorial was erected near the South Lodge entrance by the Boy Scouts, dedicated by the Rector of Hanwell.

The Ealing Parks Department Depot was situated on an area to the north of Lammas Park before World War II, with its own glasshouses, but by 1958 most of the park's flower beds had been removed. When Ealing, Southall and Acton merged as the London Borough of Ealing in the 1960s, the new Council built its main nursery in Southall and the Depot in Lammas Park was no longer needed. The glasshouses were destroyed in c.1972, when the park's bandstand was also demolished, although the Depot yard continued to be used as a store until 1994 when it finally closed, largely as a result of reduced staffing following Compulsory Competitive Tendering legislation. However, plans for a nature conservation area here were prepared by the Borough Landscape Architects, and this opened on 26 June 1998, a peaceful area accessible from the Playcentre, containing a wildlife garden, with a pond and bridge.

Overall the park's design is much more modest than that of Walpole Park (q.v.). Culmington Road is lined with mature London plane trees and there are also groups of plane and one or two oaks dotted with Corsican pine, as well as shrubs. A horse chestnut walk leads from East Lodge into the park, cast iron gates and wire mesh fencing. In the east of the park are tennis courts.

Sources consulted:

Charles Jones, 'Ealing from Village to Corporate Life, or 40 Years of Municipal Life', nd, (c1903?); site history board in park; Middlesex County Times 18/6/1927; Peter Hounsell 'Ealing and Hanwell Past' (Historical Publications, 1991; Peter Hounsell 'The Ealing Book' (Historical Publications 2005)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ173798 (517270,179669)
Size in hectares:
10.12
Site ownership:
LB Ealing
Site management:
Leisure & Parks Service
Date(s):
1881-3
Designer(s):
Charles Jones, Borough Surveyor
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
Yes
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.