Inventory Site Record

Hillyfields Park including North Enfield Cricket Club (Enfield)

Brief Description

Enfield UDC purchased 62 acres of farmland owned by Archdeacon Potter and opened Hilly Fields as a public park in 1911. In 1921 a wooden bandstand was built and was a popular attraction but later became derelict. It was restored in 2001 by the Friends of Hillyfields. There are many mature trees in the park, including large pollarded trees and numerous oaks scattered over rough grassland, mainly old field boundary trees and the northern boundary is formed by the Turkey Brook. Since 1952 North Enfield Cricket Club, which was first established in 1886, has leased land on Strayfield Road within the boundaries of Hilly Fields from Enfield Council.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Hilly Fields; Hilly Fields Country Park
Site location:
Phipps Hatch Lane/Clay Hill/Browning Road/Cooks Hole Road, Enfield
What 3 Words:
Type of site:
Public Park
Open to public?
Opening times:
Special conditions:
Concerts and other activities around the bandstand
Public transport:
Rail: Gordon Hill; Crews Hill; Enfield Town then bus. Bus: W8, 191, 610, W10
Research updated:
Last minor changes:

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk; http://northenfieldcc.weebly.com/

Full Site Description

Enfield Urban District Council purchased 62 acres of farmland owned by Archdeacon Potter and opened Hilly Fields as a public park in 1911, as part of their policy of acquiring land for public open space as the area was being developed for housing. A bandstand was provided to the east of the park in 1921 and was a popular attraction, at August Bank Holiday in 1927 attracting an audience of nearly 5,000 but later became derelict. The Friends of Hillyfields was set up in 1998 with the aim of restoring the bandstand, raising funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and restoration was completed in 2001.

Hillyfields has been described as 'one of the most interesting grassland areas in the borough' and the Council continues to strive to maintain its diversity. There are many mature trees, including large old pollarded trees and numerous oaks scattered over rough grassland, mainly old field boundary trees, but possibly augmented with an ornamental element; those near bandstand roughly aligned east-west, although no sign of related earthworks. The northern boundary is formed by the Turkey Brook, which rises at Potters Bar, and is dotted with hornbeam and scrub trees. Towards the east end of the park, at the top of a slope planted with trees that include oaks and conifers, the park's suburban surroundings are more in evidence, overlooked by St Luke the Evangelist Church opposite in Phipps Hatch Lane. At the bottom of this slope, towards Clay Hill, the restored bandstand is an incongruous but quite picturesque sight. The London Loop runs through the park.

Since 1952 North Enfield Cricket Club has leased a field within the boundaries of Hilly Fields. The Club's first recorded match took place in 1886 at the Burton Court ground, opposite the Royal Hospital Chelsea (q.v.). Games were irregular until the 1930s and the team at that stage seemed to be mainly comprised of players from various local church social groups including Parishes of St Luke’s and St John’s, Clay Hill. The club’s first permanent home was on a piece of farmland called Hog Hill to the north east of Enfield, where a basic pavilion was constructed. With the coming of WWII, Hog Hill was commandeered for an anti-aircraft gun position being the highest point in the area. Once hostilities ceased in 1945 and social and sporting clubs started to reform, the club played on Claysmore, farmland located between Clay Hill and Whitewebbs Park until 1951. The club then moved to Strayfield Road, only a few hundred yards from Claysmore where a cricket pitch of some description had previously been laid, but it took over a year to clear the land and start to lay a square. Strayfield Road is part of Hilly Fields Park, owned by Enfield Council, who agreed to lease the land to the Club with the conditions that the Club own and maintain the cricket square and the pavilion/car park.

Sources consulted:

Victoria County History; local history leaflets; Hillyfields leaflet, LB Enfield Parks Business Unit (2001/2); history of North Enfield Cricket Club on http://northenfieldcc.weebly.com/

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ316985 (532154,198407)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Enfield
Site management:
Place Shaping and Enterprise, Parks Business Unit; Friends of Hillyfields Park
Listed structures:
Nearby: LBII St Luke's Church and Parish Room; St Luke's Vicarage
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Metropolitan Importance
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Yes - Enfield Chase Heritage Area AOSC (Area of Special Character)
Other LA designation:
Included in Local Register of Historic Parks and Gardens

Hillyfields Park including North Enfield Cricket Club

Hilly Fields - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 22/08/06 11:16

Hilly Fields Bandstand, photograph c.1965. Enfield Local Studies Centre and Archive
Band Stand, Hilly Fields Park, Enfield, postcard c.1920. Enfield Local Studies Centre and Archive
Hilly Fields, Enfield, undated postcard. Enfield Local Studies Centre and Archive

Click a photo to enlarge.

More photos

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.