fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Stonebridge Gardens (Hackney)

Brief Description

Stonebridge Gardens takes its name from a stone bridge over a tributary of the Hackney Brook nearby. In 1883 part of what is now the park was given to the Hackney Board of Works for public open space; this small area in the north has an obelisk, any inscription now obliterated. Although part of the park may be a remnant of Stonebridge Common, it was largely created following post-war house clearance. It was landscaped largely for recreational use with a concrete and mosaic snake play sculpture constructed in 1981.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Stonebridge Common; Snake Park
Site location:
Haggerston Road/Mayfield Road/Lee Road
Postcode:
E8 4EP
What 3 Words:
before.master.much
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Hackney
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Play area, sports pitches
Events:
Public transport:
London Overground: Haggerston. Bus: 67, 149, 242, 243A
Research updated:
01/06/2011
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk/stonebridge-gardens.htm

Full Site Description

Stonebridge Gardens may have once been part of a field owned by a John Waxman in the C17th (Clarke). It takes its name from a stone bridge that crossed a tributary of the Hackney Brook known as Pigwell Stream, which also marked the division between the parishes of Hackney and Shoreditch. Hackney Brook formerly joined the River Lea at Old Ford, but disappeared after the Regent's Canal was cut, although it remained as a 'small, dry ditch' for some years. In 1883 the small triangular area in the north of the park today, comprising a quarter of an acre, was given as public open space to the Hackney Board of Works free of charge and was protected under the London Squares and Enclosures Preservation Act of 1906. In 1928 this was described as a 'triangular area enclosed by posts and rails and maintained as an asphalt playground with a number of trees around the border'. Since then this area has been largely paved and has an obelisk set in the middle, any inscription now quite worn away and obliterated. This is surrounded by a series of grassed mounds behind low brick walls that have niches for seats, and a number of planted tubs.

The rest of the park was largely created following post-war house clearance and has been landscaped for recreational use as playing fields, with some shrub and tree planting along the railway border. A concrete and mosaic snake play sculpture was constructed in 1981 by Free Form, leading to the park's nickname as Snake Park. Near the park to the south is Haggerston Parish Church of All Saints, which was built in 1855-6 to serve the new residents to the area following development of Sir William Middleton's estate in the 1840s. As part of the Play Pathfinder scheme the play area in Stonebridge Gardens was re-landscaped in 2010 with monkey bars, a sand pit, multiple person swings, a three person see-saw, hammocks and a trampoline.

Sources consulted:

Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Victoria County History; Mike Gray, Isobel Watson, David Mander 'Discover De Beauvoir Town and environs' (Friends of Hackney Archives, 2003); Benjamin Clarke, 'Glimpses of Ancient Hackney and Stoke Newington' (first published 1892/93; new edition published by LB Hackney/Hackney Society, 1986)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ335840 (533640,184027)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Hackney
Site management:
Hackney Parks Service
Date(s):
1880s; 1980s
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

Yes (part)

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Albion Square (north part)
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
London Square; Open Space

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.