Inventory Site Record

Gwendwr Gardens

Gwendwr Gardens (Hammersmith & Fulham)

Brief Description

Gwendwr Gardens is on land that was once the site of the Cedars Lawn Tennis Club. The land was donated to Fulham Borough Council by R G Gunter and opened in 1949 as a memorial garden. The name of the road and park comes from an estate owned by the Gunter family in Wales. The garden has flagged stone paths, a sunken garden with pool, rose beds, shrub borders, lawn at the west with specimen trees and a low stone wall and hedge boundary.

Practical Information
Site location:
Gwendwr Road
Postcode:
W14
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Hammersmith & Fulham
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Barons Court (District, Piccadilly). Bus: 28, 391

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lbhf.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The land was owned by the Gunter family and was offered by Robert Geoffrey Gunter to Fulham Borough Council to be laid out as a memorial garden for the benefit of local people in memory of war damage in the West Kensington especially that of the night of 20 February 1944. Mr Gunter also contributed to the cost of laying out the garden and it opened on 23 July 1949. A statue by Hermon Cawthra, 'Meditation', which was exhibited in the Royal Academy of 1957, was installed in the garden but has subsequently been stolen. Another work by the same artist is found in Pryor's Bank Gardens (q.v.). Cawthra had a studio at Elysium Place in 1932-41 and at No. 4 Fulham Park Gardens from 1946-64. On the south side of Gwendwr Road is a small grassed area and there are some areas of planting and grass along Talgarth Road.

Sources consulted:

LB Hammersmith & Fulham Archives Dept, 'A note on the open spaces of Fulham and Hammersmith', 1974 p10

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ244784 (524466,178452)
Size in hectares:
0.47
Site ownership:
LB Hammersmith & Fulham
Site management:
Environment Department, Parks Service (ground maintenance by Quadron Services)
Date(s):
1949
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Gunter
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Small Local Park; Open Space of Borough-wide Importance

Page Top