Inventory Site Record

Wendell Park (Hammersmith & Fulham)

Brief Description

Wendell Park is on land that from 1868 was owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In 1893, when much of the area was being built over, 4 acres south of Cobbold Road were offered to Hammersmith Vestry for recreational use in return for certain works, such as paving of new roads. The Vestry took this on with LCC assistance and laid out the park out in 1896/7. The park was not given a formal opening but was in use by 1897.

Practical Information
Site location:
Wendell Road/Hartswood Road/Cobbold Road, Hammersmith
Postcode:
W6
What 3 Words:
ripe.orchestra.tune
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Hammersmith & Fulham
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Play areas, nature conservation area
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Stamford Brook (District). Bus: 266
Research updated:
01/02/2011
Last minor changes:
14/07/2022

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lbhf.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The area north of Cobbold Road was developed in the late Victorian and Edwardian period and when St Saviour's Church was built in 1890 it was largely surrounded by fields. The Vicarage overlooking the park was built in 1894 and Wendell Park School in 1900. Wendell Park, which was opened by Hammersmith Vestry in 1897. The planting in much of the park is of recent date although there are some mature plane trees in the north-west corner, and one possibly C18th plane to the east. There are sycamore trees along Wendell Road. The park has children’s play areas and a small nature conservation area. In 2011 plans to improve the play area in the south-west corner have been proposed, which include re-landscaping and planting in addition to new play equipment.

Sources consulted:

LB Hammersmith & Fulham Archives Dept, 'A note on the open spaces of Fulham and Hammersmith', 1974 p23; John Archer, Daniel Keech 'Nature Conservation in Hammersmith & Fulham', Ecology Handbook 25, London Ecology Unit, 1993

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ216796 (521680,179603)
Size in hectares:
1.75
Site ownership:
LB Hammersmith & Fulham
Site management:
Environment Department, Parks Service (ground maintenance by Quadron Services)
Date(s):
1896/7
Designer(s):
Local authority
Listed structures:
Local list (Buildings of Merit): St Saviour's Church, Wendell Park School
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Ravenscourt & Starch Green
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Small Local Park; Open Space of Borough-wide Importance

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.