fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Wood Green Common (Haringey)

Brief Description

Wood Green Common is a remnant of the original Wood Greene, which abutted the east side of Tottenham Wood, part of the Forest of Middlesex. Wood Green was a hamlet within the parish of Tottenham until the area was developed after the opening of the station in 1859, becoming a separate authority in 1888. The park is in two sections bisected by a straight footpath, the west section open grassland and the east section laid out as a formal garden in the early C20th. In the centre is a drinking fountain in memory of C W Barratt whose confectionery factory overlooked Wood Green Common from 1880 to c.1980, and was an important local employer.

Practical Information
Site location:
Station Road, Wood Green
Postcode:
N22 7SY
What 3 Words:
began.ages.shower
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Haringey
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
West: football, playground
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Wood Green (Piccadilly). Bus: W3, 184
Research updated:
01/06/2009
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.haringey.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Wood Green Common is on an irregularly shaped site to the east of Station Road, a remnant of the original Wood Greene that abutted the east side of Tottenham Wood, which was once part of the Forest of Middlesex. The Common originally extended to 70 - 80 acres. Wood Green was initially a hamlet within the parish of Tottenham; after the opening of the station in 1859 on the Great Northern Line the area was developed and in 1888 became a separate local authority. Until the 1970s it was predominantly middle class while Tottenham became increasingly working class.

The park is in two sections bisected by a straight footpath, enclosed by a red brick wall on its north west side and railings. The west section is open grassland with a playground at the westernmost end; the east section was laid out as a garden between 1912 and 1930 with a curving pergola (square piers of concrete / aggregate blocks and concrete cross beams), four paths radiating from a circular area with a central granite drinking fountain (not operational) on four circular granite steps. The fountain is inscribed: 'Erected to the memory of C W Barratt Esq. Chairman of Barratt & Co Ltd. 1930'. Barratt's confectionery factory, which had been founded in Islington in 1848, stood on the corner of Mayes Road overlooking Wood Green Common from 1880 to c.1980 and was an important source of local employment. London plane trees, mostly C19th, line the boundaries on the north, east and part of the south sides.

Sources consulted:

Fisk, pp 154-5; Robinson, vol. 1, p 58; Curtis, p 35; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ307903 (530590,190280)
Size in hectares:
1.55
Site ownership:
LB Haringey
Site management:
Parks Service (Woodside Neighbourhood) / Friends of Wood Green Common
Date(s):
C19th; 1912-1930
Designer(s):
Not known
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Yes: Green (TVG52)
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Wood Green Common
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes (part) - NE corner falls within area of archaeological significance
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.