fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Wood Green Crown Courts (Haringey)

Brief Description

Although Wood Green Crown Courts are of recent date, the site was formerly that of the Royal Masonic Institute for Boys, built in 1865 on the site of a large house. When the school moved, the building had a number of uses, including as the headquarters of Eastern Gas. Early C20th photographs show gardens in front of the building. In 1974 the site was purchased by Haringey Council largely for housing development and the Crown Courts opened here in 1989, set behind landscaped gardens on Lordship Lane.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Woodall House; Royal Masonic Institute for Boys
Site location:
Lordship Lane
Postcode:
N22
What 3 Words:
brief.remote.hike
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Haringey
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Wood Green (Piccadilly). Bus 144, 243, 243A, W3
Research updated:
01/04/2003
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.haringey.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The Crown Courts were constructed behind the C19th façade of the former Royal Masonic Institute for Boys, a school for the sons of poor or deceased Freemasons, which was built by Edwin Peace and Stephen Barton Wilson & Son in 1865 on a 10 acre site previously occupied by a large house. In 1898 the school moved to Bushey and the building was then used for the Home and Colonial School Society Training College. The school is shown c.1902 with gardens in front of it. In the 1930s the building became the headquarters of Eastern Gas who renamed it Woodall House after their Chairman. In 1974 the site was purchased by Haringey Council largely for housing development; the Crown Courts opened here in 1989, with gardens in front onto Lordship Lane. The building was remodelled in 1992 to provide 10 more court rooms.

The well-kept gardens in front of the Courts have various beds and shrubberies, paths, areas of lawn, paving and seating. To the east of the Courts the gardens continue to Winkfield Road, with grass, some trees and shrubs and a winding path.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Peter Curtis, 'In Times Past, Wood Green and Tottenham with West Green and Harringay', Hornsey Historical Society, 3rd ed. 1995

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ314906 (531350,190560)
Size in hectares:
0.3
Site ownership:
LB Haringey
Site management:
Parks Service (Woodside Neighbourhood)
Date(s):
C20th
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.