Inventory Site Record

Nazareth House Convent and Grounds

Nazareth House Convent and Grounds (Hounslow)

Brief Description

Nazareth House Convent was formerly Isleworth House, which had been rebuilt in 1832 by Edward Blore for George III's chaplain, Sir William Cooper. The C18th owner of the estate had diverted Richmond Road so that it did not separate the house from the river. The garden led down to the river and the estate had its own burial ground. Purchased by the Sisters of Nazareth in 1892, it became their Convent and later an old people's home, but has been empty since 2002.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Isleworth House
Site location:
Richmond Road, Isleworth
Postcode:
TW7
Type of site:
Institutional Grounds
Borough:
Hounslow
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: St Margaret's, Isleworth then bus. Bus: H37

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

The order of Poor Sisters of Nazareth was founded in Hammersmith in the mid-C19th to care for the poor and infirm, and purchased Isleworth House in 1892 where they set up their convent. In 1899 they built the Nazareth House Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls, which had 120 pupils, with a chapel added in 1902. The industrial school closed in 1922 and was converted into a home for children in need, remaining in this use until 1985. It then became a residential home for the elderly, but in 2002 both the convent and the home for the elderly closed. In 2007 the property was the subject of a planning application by the Sisters of Nazareth for a village for the elderly to be built here.

Pending further research on current situation.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition), p434; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993) p.424

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ165755 (516567,175545)
Size in hectares:
c.3.5
Site ownership:
private
Site management:
Date(s):
C18th, 1832
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Isleworth House
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Isleworth Riverside
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes - Thames Policy Area/Isleworth
Other LA designation:
None

Page Top