fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Highbury Quadrant Estate (Islington)

Brief Description

Highbury Quadrant Estate was built by the LCC in 1955-56 with low blocks of flats and a clubroom, the buildings set within landscaping of lawns and numerous trees, including mature horse chestnuts. The architects worked with the local community in preparing their designs, and the estate has been described as 'with hindsight, the ultimate manifestation of the LCC's Swedish-inspired socialists, usually known as the 'herbivores'' (Andrew Saint, 'London Suburbs'). A sculpture in cemented iron by Siegfried Charoux entitled 'The Neighbours', was commissioned by the LCC in 1957 and erected within the landscaping in 1959. Charoux's sculpture of two figures represented the ideals of the 'working man'.

Practical Information
Site location:
Highbury New Park/Highbury Quadrant
Postcode:
N5
What 3 Words:
cult.stores.vital
Type of site:
Housing/Estate Landscaping
Borough:
Islington
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail/Tube (Victoria): Finsbury Park then bus. Rail/London Overground/Tube (Victoria): Highbury and Islington then bus. Bus: 4, 19, 236, 141, 341
Research updated:
01/11/2004
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.islington.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Highbury Quadrant was originally laid out in the 1850s as part of Highbury New Park estate developed by Henry Rydon on land once owned by Francis Maseres, which had passed to Robert and William Fellowes. By the 1860s around 45 detached and semi-detached villas had been built on the two arms of Highbury Quadrant. Following WWII, this was one of a number of areas of Highbury that was rebuilt as municipal housing, replacing the Victorian houses that had suffered bomb damage. The LCC's Highbury Quadrant Estate was one of the largest of these estates, providing 611 dwellings in 40 blocks of 4 and 5 storeys. Siegfried Charoux was commissioned by the LCC on the recommendation of the Arts Council, an example of the LCC's practice of providing sculptures on its housing estates, many of which still stand.

Sources consulted:

Andrew Saint (introduction), 'London Suburbs', (Merrell Holberton Publishers, 1999); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: London 4: North' (Penguin, 1998), pp74, 86, 694; 'Islington: Growth: Highbury', in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (Victoria County History, 1985), pp. 37-41.

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ322861 (532230,186110)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Islington
Site management:
Housing
Date(s):
1955-56
Designer(s):
LCC
Listed structures:
LBII: Siegfried Charoux sculpture 'The Neighbours'
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Shopping Policy Area

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.