fbpx

Inventory Site Record

St John's Church, Upper Holloway (Islington)

Brief Description

St John's Church is a yellow-brick Commissioners Church built in 1826-28 as the parish church for Upper Holloway and designed by Charles Barry. Fine monuments in the church include that of Ann Sykes (d.1835) and her daughter Martha Venn (d.1840), which feature sculpted figures by Slevier of Faith and Charity. Closed for burial in 1855, the churchyard is now a garden surrounded by brick wall and has flowerbeds, lawn and trees.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Upper Holloway Parish Church; St John with St Peter's Church
Site location:
Holloway Road/St John's Grove
Postcode:
N19
What 3 Words:
paper.flying.attend
Type of site:
Churchyard
Borough:
Islington
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
closed, partly visible
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
London Overground: Upper Holloway. Tube: Archway (Northern) then bus. Bus: 17, 43. 271,
Research updated:
01/04/2012
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stjohnsevangelist.co.uk

Full Site Description

The building of the church here was at the instigation of the vicar of Islington parish church of St Mary's (q.v.). The acre of land was donated by the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy and had been part of the Palmer Estate owned by the late Revd. James Palmer, vicar of St Bride's Church (q.v.). The first stone of the new church was laid on 24 May 1826 following a procession from St Mary's led by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Burials took place in churchyard and in the crypt, where lead coffins remain today, but burials ceased following the Public Order Act of 20 May 1855 on the grounds of public health.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998), p656; Church history on St John's Church website

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ296866 (529700,186650)
Size in hectares:
0.405
Site ownership:
Diocese of London
Site management:
Church
Date(s):
1828
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LB: St John's Church
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
CA
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.